Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Never Enough Time

Every morning when I get into school, I review my daily calendar in order to prepare for the upcoming day. Many of us do this on a daily basis whether it is in our planner, iPhone, or in our heads.  Often times I am amazed at how many entries I have in my calendar for a given day…my mind races to all the things not listed that also need to get done.  However, every morning I will glance to the note I have on my desk, “First things First” and am reminded of these important words from author Stephen Covey.  I believe we always have time for the priorities in our lives. 

In talking with and seeing our students, I often see them start to understand the concept of being busy.  As our 5th and 6th grade students get older, they continue to have larger amounts of responsibility both in and out of school.  This was highlighted to me yesterday at dismissal when I was talking with a 6th grade student who had both a football and hockey game on Saturday along with a school project to complete that weekend. At this developmental age, our young people need direction in helping develop a system for prioritizing tasks.  Often times if a student is feeling overwhelmed, I will help talk with them about the idea of “First things First.”  As our 5th and 6th students grow and mature into young men and women, I work hard to support their ability to prioritize what is really important in their educational development.  “First things First” is for all of us and we have the ability has adults in the lives of our students to help them discover this important concept!

Have a great day!

David

No comments:

Post a Comment