Thursday, October 24, 2013

Innocence

Having come from a middle school background (6th-8th grade), I continue to experience new and wonderful things at Central Woodlands with our 5th and 6th grade.  Being with our students is the best part of my day and I love talking to our students and "hanging" out with them in their classes.  They are so excited to learn new things and to show off their new knowledge to me whenever I come into the room.  One of the 5/6 philosophies is to keep our students "younger, longer."  In our world where it seems kids grow up faster than ever; the need for this is more important than ever before.

Yesterday, I was able to experience a moment that I will never forget.  During 5th grade lunch, small flakes of snow began to fall outside.  One by one, our students began to take notice until there was a mass of positive energy.  Sandwiches, cookies, and milk cartons instantly become lost in the emotions of the first visible signs of winter.  Our students became lost in their pure innocence of what it means to be a "kid" and celebrate the glorious signs of the first snow.  Loud cheering and group clapping broke out as our students rejoiced together...

At Central Woodlands, we are lucky to have these moments on a daily basis to remind ourselves of the real importance of our lives.

I can never say this enough, but thank you for sharing your children with us!

Have a great day!

David Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment