Tuesday, August 20, 2013

When I grow up...

This past weekend at breakfast, my son Cole looked up from eating and said, "How long will it take to be as tall as you?  Did it take a long time for you to get big?"

I was surprised that his mind was thinking about this future topic so early in the morning...obviously he is curious about what it must mean to be "big" and do "daddy things."

On my drive into work on Monday, I kept thinking about his comments and his desire to think about his own future.  At the age of four, he is already aware that there are a lot of things still to experience and that getting big will be here someday.  I think about our 5th and 6th grade students and how often their view of the world and future are things that are right in front of them.  As our students get older, the perspective can often go from thinking about being big at age four to thinking more about their upcoming responsibilities in the week ahead.

In the work I do with our students, I try to engage our students in "future talk..."  I believe the more we can set the stage for our young people to dream about their hopes and aspirations...the more we can understand their needs in helping them achieve their dreams!

Have a great day!


David Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment